If you are at risk of harm please dial 000.

Legal help at court

Intervention Orders

We assist with Family Violence Intervention Orders (IVO) at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.


If you have a Family Violence Intervention Order (FVIO) case being heard at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court, our lawyers can provide free advice, representation and referrals. Please go to Level 6 and ask to see the Women’s Legal lawyer.


There is also an Applicant Support Worker at court who can provide non-legal support.


Child protection cases

We assist with child protection applications at the Moorabbin Children’s Court, five days per fortnight.


If you need assistance from a lawyer for a case being heard at the Children’s Court at Moorabbin Justice Centre, please go to the Victoria Legal Aid counter at the court.


Family law

Limited free legal advice is also available for family law court applications at the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court in Melbourne and Dandenong. You should first go to the FASS information referral officer.


You may be at court all day, so please arrange childcare if possible.

Free legal advice

If you need legal advice, please contact the Legal Help service at Victoria Legal Aid (VLA).


The service operates Monday to Friday, from 8am to 5pm.


Legal Help provides free telephone advice as well as online chat and online legal information. 


How to contact VLA Legal Help

Get in touch by phone


Get in touch via Online Chat


Find legal answers


  • Please note that the Women’s Legal phone advice line for the general public closed on February 26, 2021.